- Date: Sunday, April 19, 2015
- Location: Mt. Airy, NC
- Start Time: 8:00 AM
- Distance: Swim 300 yds, Bike 28K, Run 5K
- Registration Closes: Thursday, April 16 at 8:00 am
- Race Cap: 300
- Minimum Age: 10 on 12/31/15
- Entry Fees
- Packet Pickup
- Relay Info
- Swim Times
- USAT Info
Join us for the 3rd annual Tri Mayberry Triathlon hosted by the Reeves Community Center and the Rotary Club of Mt Airy. This is a one of a kind triathlon taking place in downtown Mt Airy. Beautiful, challenging courses with great views of downtown Mt Airy. Run through history on the run course passing the Andy Griffith & Opie Statue to the finish line.
This is an excellent pool swim in a 25 yard pool at Reeves Community Center. Each participant will be assigned a swim start time based on your estimated 100 yard swim time. It is highly recommended that you submit an accurate swim time in order to limit congestion and crowding in the pool.
We will stagger the start by 15 seconds to ensure plenty of room for everyone.
The below averages and times provide some guidance as to how project how fast or slow you would swim 100 yards.
Minutes & Seconds Per 100 Yards
Average Swimmer: 2:08 Median Swimmer 2:03 Fastest Swimmer 1:10 Slowest Swimmer: 5:09 Top 10%: 1:34 25th Percentile: 1:46 75th Percentile: 2:19
Bike – 28K – (17 Miles):
The bike course is one loop ride on the rural country roads of Mount Airy and Surry County. The views are amazing with scenic views of the Blue Ridge Mountain Range with a few challenging hills. All roads are open to vehicular traffic but law enforcement will ensure safety at intersections.
Run 5K (3.1 miles):
The final stretch is a single loop run through the streets of Mount airy and incorporating Historic Downtown Mayberry and finishing on Main Street viewing establishments synonymous with Mayberry. There will be one water stop.
- $55.00 November 1 – January 31
- $60.00 February 1 – March 31
- $65.00 April 1 – April 16 (close of online reg)
- $70.00 at Packet Pick Up and Race Morning
- $85.00 November 1 – January 31
- $95.00 February 1 – March 31
- $105.00 April 1 – April 16 (close of online reg)
- $115.00 at Packet Pick Up and Race Morning
This pricing is based upon Date. Once a date is reached the price will increase to the next tier
On-site registration is available for this event during normal packet pick up hours.
12:00 PM – 5:00 PM
@ Reeves Community Center
113 South Renfro St
Mt Airy, NC 27030
6:00 AM – 7:30 AM
@ Reeves Community Center
113 South Renfro St
Mt Airy, NC 27030
NOTE: Photo ID is required for packet pick-up. Everyone must pick up their own race packet.
USA Triathlon requires that all USAT annual members must show their USAT membership card at packet pick-up.
Any USAT annual member who does not present his/her valid membership card at packet pick-up, will be required to pay the USAT one-day fee of $12.
- 6:00 AM – Transition Area Open
- 6:00 AM – Race day registration opens
- 7:30 AM – Race day registration closes
- 8:00 AM – Race Start
- 11:00 AM – Projected awards ceremony (will be adjusted based on last finisher’s time)
A participant orientation meeting will be held at 4:30 PM on Saturday, April 18th at the Reeves Community Center.
Timing and Results Information
This event will be timed using the Mylaps timing system. A timing chip will be provided for you the morning of the event. You will need to show your run number to the volunteers at the Timing Chip Pick Up tent. They will hand you a disposable strap to use to fasten the chip to your ankle. We will have velcro straps available for $5 if you would rather purchase one of those (the disposable straps come with the chip). Volunteers will collect the timing chip from you at the end of the finish line chute. Relay teams will receive a velcro strap with their chip, as the chip is what is passed from member to member. The strap and chip will be collected at the finish line.
Five splits will be provided: Swim, T1 (transition from the end of the swim to the start of the bike), Bike, T2 (transition from the end of the bike to the start of the run), and Run.
For on site results, we have a large, flat screen TV scrolling the results. Results on the screen update about every minute so athletes are able to see their times pretty quickly after crossing the finish line.
On each run number, there will be a QR code which will provide your finish times for you upon scanning. To use this feature, be sure you have a QR Code Scanner app on your phone (these apps are free). This is a really nice way to get your times without looking over anyone’s shoulder.
We also provide live results and real time alerts (text, email, Facebook, Twitter). Live results means that the results will be streaming onto our website so people who are either not at the event or are spectating can access results as they happen. The live results feed has a leader board feature as well as a searchable feature if you are looking for times for a specific athlete. You can also check age group and category placings on the live results feed. The real time alerts allow for athletes, friends, family to sign up for alerts. You can choose the medium (text, email, Facebook, Twitter) with which you want to receive the alerts, and when the athlete you are tracking crosses the finish line or various split points, you will receive an immediate notification. This is a fun feature for both spectators and athletes. It allows spectators to track the athlete’s progress and it’s a great way for an athlete to immediately get their results.
The link to these pages will be available race week.
Full official results are posted on our 2015 Results Calendar within 1-2 hours of the last finisher crossing the line.
Top 3 in each of the following categories:
- Top 3 M/F Overall
- Age Groups (M/F):19 & Under, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70+
- Relay Teams (Mixed)
- Age Group – Participants competing in their age group.
- Mixed Relay – Mix of male and female team members.
- Below is a brief description of each race category:
NOTE: You may fit into one or more of the above categories, so whichever category you choose to compete in is completely your choice. Choose the category that you feel you would have the most fun competing in.
- Relays can be 2-person (one person does 2 legs, and one person does 1 leg) or 3-person teams (each person does 1 leg of the event).
- EACH Relay member MUST pick up his/her own packet.
- EACH Member MUST have their photo ID and USAT card (if applicable) to pick up their packet.
- If a member is a minor (17 or under), then a parent/guardian must show an ID to get their packet.
- If a member turns 18 by the end of 2014 they are considered an Adult per USAT, thus they must pick up their own packet.
- If you need to replace a relay member you can e-mail us using the Contact Us button with the changes.
- If it is the week of the event and you need to make a change to a relay member then you can make this change at packet pick up.
- At packet pick up you will be given a sheet of paper that explains how the relays will work (chip hand off, tagging spot, etc.).
- If you are an individual that wishes to switch to a relay team, then you can e-mail us, using the Contact Us button at the top of the page, the following information: Team Name, Team Member Names, Team Member Shirt sizes. You will need to pay the difference to convert to a relay, which you can pay at packet pick up (cash or check only). If it is the week of the event, then you can make these changes at packet pick up.
Swim Time Information
- Swim Times: All participants must submit a 100 yard swim time for seeding purposes.
Being a pool swim with a staggered start, participants are seeded from fastest to slowest.
It is in your best interest to submit an accurate 100 yard “pace” time for your swim. In other words, don’t submit your fastest 100 yard swim time, submit a 100 yard time that represents what you’ll do on race day over the event distance. By seeding yourself properly, you’ll end up swimming near people who swim the same pace as you. This will reduce the number of people who you will need to pass or the number of people who will be passing you.
- Seeding Order: All participants will be sorted by the submitted 100-yard swim time. Any athlete who registers at packet pick-up will be seeded AFTER the last pre-registered athlete begins. We will give a 4-5 minute break between the last pre-registered athlete and the first walk-in registered athlete. This is to allow time for the pool to clear so the fast walk-in registered athletes do not have to swim over anyone.
- Pool Swim Etiquette: It is appropriate for a swimmer to yield at the wall and wait to be passed if the person behind them is “on their feet” or “tickling their toes”. These issues come about it seems from not properly determining an accurate 100 yard swim time.
- Changing Swim Times: Athletes can request a change in swim time until Monday, April 13. After that, no changes will be made. Email Benji@jonesracingcompany.com with any changes.
2029 Rockford St.
Mount Airy NC 27030
*Rate will be $89.10 plus tax. Mention Tri Mayberry when booking your reservation.
USAT Rules and Information
ALL USAT members must show proof of a current membership at packet pick up. If you have recently renewed a membership, then you MUST print out a temporary card or receipt of payment (that shows length of the membership period) to show at packet pick up. We will not take your word for it that your membership is current; you must SHOW us. Failure to do so will result in having to pay the one-day fee of $12.
You can go to the USAT WEBSITE where you can renew your membership or print out a temporary card. You can also renew your membership at packet pick up if that’s easier for you.
If I entered my USAT information when I registered, then why do I need to show my card at packet pick up? USAT rules state that all USAT members must show a valid membership card at packet pick up and failure to do so will result in having to pay the 1-day fee. Our events are sanction by USAT, therefore, we must follow these rules. Our website is not connected to USAT’s website, so the information that you enter when you register could be incorrect. We must physically document the current expiration date of your membership when you pick up your packet as this is the only way we can confirm 100% that your membership is in fact current.
USAT’s “Age Up” Policy:
An athlete’s age for any USAT sanctioned race will be his/her age as of Dec. 31, 2015 . The age he/she is on 12/31 will determine his/her racing age group. If an athlete is due to “age-up” into the next group, it will happen at the beginning of the year, not after the athlete’s birthday. This action aligns regular U.S. age group racing with the method used by USA Triathlon for its National Rankings Program and its new Grand Prix Series.
Example: John Smith is 39 and will turn 40 on November 20, 2015.
John will be considered 40 for all 2014 races – and will race in the 40-44 age group at all 2015 races.
Sally Jones is 29 and will turn 30 on July 3, 2015.
Sally will be considered 30 for all 2015 races – and will race in the 30-34 age group at all 2015 races.
Policies and Refunds
REFUND POLICY: 50% of your entry fee will be refunded until April 2, 2015. No refunds will be issued for any reason after April 2, 2015. Entries CANNOT be transferred or deferred to another person, event, or year. NO EXCEPTIONS will be made to this policy. By registering for this event you agree to this refund policy. To request a refund, you must complete the refund request form below.
Refund Request Form
WEATHER POLICY: In the event of inclement the following procedures will be followed:
The event will be postponed until 8:45AM in hopes the inclement weather will pass.
If inclement weather does not pass by 8:45AM , the event will be changed to a duathlon format.
Every effort will be made to have this event on time on this date. Should this event be cancelled due to an Act of God or other circumstance beyond the race directors control there will be no refunds, credits, or transfers.
NO EXCEPTIONS will be made to this policy. By registering for this event you agree to this weather policy.