Piedmont EyeCare Associates
Warrier Family Dentistry
Natalie’s Orchid Island Juice Company
In Kind Sponsors:
Dick’s Sporting Goods
Trek Bicycle Store of Charlotte – South
- Date: Saturday, July 15, 2017
- Location: Charlotte, NC
- Start Time: 7:00 AM
- Distance: Swim 300 yds, Bike 12.7 Miles, Run 5K
- Online Registration Closes: Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 7:00 am
- Race Cap: 400
- Minimum Age: 10 on 12/31/17
Looking for the Preschool Tri info? CLICK HERE!
- Entry Fees
- Packet Pickup
- Relay Info
- Swim Times
- Category Info
- USAT Info
This event is a USA Triathlon sanctioned event.
The 8th Annual Tri! Ballantyne presented by Architech Sports & Physical Therapy and Morningstar Storage is an exciting comeback year with the return of the adult division in our outdoor Tri! Ballantyne, a local event favorite for so many in our community. Adults and Kids ages 10+ years can participate individually or as a relay team in this 300 yard pool swim, 12.7 mile outdoor bike and 3.1 mile outdoor run on Saturday, July 15 at 7:00am at the Morrison Family YMCA. This event is for all levels and is a great stepping stone for those interested in participating in the Lake Norman YMCA open water swim sprint triathlon in August.
Families, friends and co-workers can enjoy great food, music and entertainment after crossing our NEW FINISH LINE and entering the post Tri! finish line celebration. Stick around for more fun watching Preschool Kids Tri! (3-5 year olds) at 12:00pm* and Kids Tri! (6-14 year olds) at 1:00pm*. An active and memorable experience for the entire family!
This event is for all levels and is a great stepping stone for those interested in participating in the Lake Norman YMCA Sprint Triathlon on August 26, which is a 750m open water swim in Lake Norman, 17.8 mile bike, and 5K run.
*time subject to change based on the last finisher participating in Tri! Ballantyne
Tri! Ballantyne participants will receive a participant shirt. Shirts are guaranteed to participants who register before the early bird pricing deadline: June 15 at 11:59PM.
New this year, 2017 Tri! Ballantyne participants will receive finisher medals.
YMCA events offer a valuable and unique marketing opportunity for businesses, while providing a tax-deductible way for our business partners to support our mission. For sponsorship opportunities, please contact Jessie Lindberg at 704-716-4645 or Jessie.email@example.com
Swim = 300 Yard Pool Swim (12 lengths)
The swim is a 300 yard pool swim in the Morrison Family YMCA outdoor pool. This is a staggered start event where participants start every 15 seconds at one side of the pool and snake their way up and down each lane as they work towards the other side of the pool. Participants are seeded fastest to slowest and must submit an estimated 100 yard swim time when registering**. If you would like to wear a swim cap, please be sure to bring your own.
Tri! Ballantyne participants can request a change in swim time until Friday, July 7. After that, no changes will be made. Email Benji@jonesracingcompany.com with any changes. Additional info on Swim Times can be found on the Swim Times Tab on our registration page HERE.
Bike = 12.7 Miles
The bike course is one 12.7 mile loop departing from the front lot of the Morrison Family YMCA and crossing through the Blakeney community in Mecklenburg County and into Union County via Rea Road. The entire bike course will be open to traffic; however, one lane of Rea Road will be coned off for race participants. As you depart from and return to the facility on your bike, be aware that runners will be running out of the same main corridor. Volunteers will direct you to the bike chute leading you back to the transition area. Please take a few minutes before you report to the pool for your swim launch to assess the access points to and from the transition area.
Bike Turn by Turn:
• R on Bryant Farms
• R on Blakeney Heath Rd.
• R on Rea Rd.
• R on Crane Rd.
• R on New Town Rd.
• R on Marvin Rd.
• R on Old Ardrey Kell Rd.
• R on Providence Rd. West
• L on Community House Rd.
• R on Bryant Farms Rd.
• R into YMCA parking lot
Run = 5K (3.1 Miles)
The 5K run course takes you along the Morrison Family YMCA campus and out onto North Community House Road into a short portion of the scenic Highgrove neighborhood. This mostly flat course finishes back at the Morrison Family YMCA where Music, Food Trucks, Sponsor Row Activities and Awards await you.
Run Turn by Turn:
• Head out of the Transition Area and run out of the back entrance of the Morrison Family YMCA Campus
• Turn Left onto Community House Road
• Turn Left onto Society St into the Highgrove Neighborhood
• Water Stop #1 at Mile 1
• Run short counter-clockwise loop along Highgrove St. back to the main entrance of Highgrove Neighborhood
• Turn Right onto Community House Road and head back towards Morrison Family YMCA
• Turn Right at Back Entrance of the Morrison Family YMCA
• Turn Right to head towards the Bojangles’ Pavilion and Baseball Fields
• Water Stop #2 located at ~ Mile 2.3 (this will be available again at ~ Mile 2.9)
• Make U-Turn at the end of the Baseball Fields and head back towards the Bojangles’ Pavilion
• Turn Right to finish on the lower sports fields near the Bojangles’ Pavilion
Transition Area (TA)
The Transition Area (TA) is set up in zones to allow for quicker access of transition items. Please be patient while your ”TA Zone” finishes the race. Once participants in your zone of the Transition Area have completed the race, volunteers will direct you how to safely collect your belongings.
We encourage you to invite your family! Spectators are welcome and must park in one of the overflow parking lots then walk up Bryant Farms Road sidewalk to the spectator access point. Spectators can flow thru the pool area and get a first hand view of their racer in action near the Transition Area, or they can mingle at the finish line and visit our Tri! Ballantyne Sponsor Row. Tri! Ballantyne is a family event and you will find fun activities for everyone to enjoy!
NOTE TO PARTICIPANTS & SPECTATORS:
• Please DO NOT park on the course to unload passengers from your car
• Please DO NOT cross over the course chutes or block participants on the course at any point
• Spectators: Please avoid the Transition Area.
• Dogs are welcome but are to be kept on a leash at all times. Please be respectful of the Morrison Family YMCA ground and bring your own poop bags.
• Post Race Participant Food is for Tri! Ballantyne participants only (participants must show race bib). There will be Food Trucks and vendors on-site to purchase food and drinks during this event.
• Participants and Spectator parking is located in the Hawk Ridge Elementary School parking lots. Overflow Parking will be held in the Light of Christ UMC parking lots. Both are located along Bryant Farms Road. There are no time restrictions in these lots.
- $55.00 December 15 – June 15
- $60.00 June 16 -July 12
- $65.00 Packet Pick Up and Race Day
- $85.00 December 15 – June 15
- $90.00 June 16 -July 12
- $95.00 Packet Pick Up and Race Day
There is a $15.00 fee for each non-USAT registrant.
This pricing is based upon Date. Once a date is reached the price will increase to the next tier
On-site registration may be available for this event during normal packet pick up hours if the event has not reached capacity.
All participants must pick up their own packet. USAT rules do not allow participants to pick up for friends/spouses/adult children. Each person must present their photo ID to receive their packet. If you are a parent of a MINOR child (children turning 18 within the calendar year are considered adults per USAT rules) then you may pick up that child’s packet.
RELAY TEAMSIf a member turns 18 by the end of 2017 they are considered an Adult per USAT, thus they must pick up their own packet.
Help A Child THRIVE! – $25
Unable to participate but would like to support Tri! Ballantyne and the YMCA Annual Campaign mission to help under-resourced children in our community? CLICK HERE to donate and help a child THRIVE!
Interested in volunteering? Email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up as a Tri! Ballantyne volunteer and help us provide an exceptional race experience for all. Thank you for having a positive impact in our community!
4:00 PM – 7:00 PM
Morrison Family YMCA
9405 Bryant Farms Rd
Charlotte, NC 28277
5:30 AM – 6:15 AM
Morrison Family YMCA
9405 Bryant Farms Rd
Charlotte, NC 28277
NOTE: Photo ID is required for packet pick-up. Everyone must pick up their own race packet.
USA Triathlon requires that all USAT annual members must show their USAT membership card at packet pick-up.
Any USAT annual member who does not present his/her valid membership card at packet pick-up, will be required to pay the USAT one-day fee of $12.
- 5:00 AM – Transition Area Open
- 5:30 AM – 6:15 AM Race Day Registration & Packet Pick Up
- 7:00 AM – Tri! Ballantyne Begins – staggered start for adults & kids 10+ Years
- 11:00 AM – Projected awards ceremony (will be adjusted based on last finisher’s time)
- 12:00 PM – Preschool Kids Tri! Begins – staggered start for kids 3-5 years
- 1:00 PM – Kids Tri! Begins – staggered start for kids 6-14 years
- 2:00 PM – Projected Awards Ceremony for Kids Tri! Ballantyne (will be adjusted based on last finisher’s time
Tri! Ballantyne Participant Meeting – Wednesday, July 13 at Morrison Family YMCA
Tri! Ballantyne Participant Orientations (Adults and Kids 10+ years) will cover pre-race FAQs, course review and USAT safety guidelines. Helmet Checks will be available on site.
Wednesday, July 12 at 6:00 PM (Last Names: A – L) and 6:45 PM (Last Names: M – Z)
NOTE: Participant Packets (race bibs, timing chips, shirts, goodie bags, etc) will not be available during orientation meetings.
Preschool Fun Tri! and Kids Tri! Participant Orientation Meetings – Thursday, July 14 at Morrison Family YMCA
Participant Orientations (Preschool Fun Tri! and Kids Tri!) will cover pre-race FAQs, course review and safety guidelines. Helmet Checks will be available on site.
Thursday, July 13 at 6:00 PM (Last Names A – L) and 6:45 PM (Last Names: M – Z)
NOTE: Participant Packets (race bibs, timing chips, shirts, goodie bags, etc) will not be available during orientation meetings.
Please RSVP by Thursday, July 6 if you plan to attend these participant orientation meetings.
Timing and Results Information
This event will be timed using the Mylaps timing system. A timing chip will be provided for you the morning of the event. You will need to show your run number to the volunteers at the Timing Chip Pick Up tent. They will hand you a disposable strap to use to fasten the chip to your ankle. We will have velcro straps available for $5 if you would rather purchase one of those (the disposable straps come with the chip). Volunteers will collect the timing chip from you at the end of the finish line chute. Relay teams will receive a velcro strap with their chip, as the chip is what is passed from member to member. The strap and chip will be collected at the finish line.
Five splits will be provided: Swim, T1 (transition from the end of the swim to the start of the bike), Bike, T2 (transition from the end of the bike to the start of the run), and Run.
For on site results, we have a large, flat screen TV scrolling the results. Results on the screen update about every minute so athletes are able to see their times pretty quickly after crossing the finish line.
We also provide live results and real time alerts (text, email, Facebook, Twitter). Live results means that the results will be streaming onto our website so people who are either not at the event or are spectating can access results as they happen. The live results feed has a leader board feature as well as a searchable feature if you are looking for times for a specific athlete. You can also check age group and category placings on the live results feed. The real time alerts allow for athletes, friends, family to sign up for alerts. You can choose the medium (text, email, Facebook, Twitter) with which you want to receive the alerts, and when the athlete you are tracking crosses the finish line or various split points, you will receive an immediate notification. This is a fun feature for both spectators and athletes. It allows spectators to track the athlete’s progress and it’s a great way for an athlete to immediately get their results.
The link to these pages will be available race week.
Full official results are posted on our 2015 Results Calendar within 1-2 hours of the last finisher crossing the line.
Top 3 in each of the following categories:
- Top 3 M/F Overall
- Top 3 M/F Masters Overall
- Top 3 Age Groups (M/F):15 & Under, 16-19,20-24,25-29,30-34,35-39,40-44,45-49,50-54,55-59,60-64,65-69, 70-74,75-79,80-84, 85+
- Top 3 Clydesdales (Men 39 and Under, 220+ lbs)
- Top 3 Master Clydesdales(Men 40+ and 220lbs+)
- Top 3 Athenas (Women 165lbs+)
- Top 3 Para Triathletes (M/F)
- Top 3 Relay Teams (Mixed and Family)
- Relays can be 2-person (one person does 2 legs, and one person does 1 leg) or 3-person teams (each person does 1 leg of the event).
- EACH Relay member MUST pick up his/her own packet.
- EACH Member MUST have their photo ID and USAT card (if applicable) to pick up their packet.
- If a member is a minor (17 or under), then a parent/guardian must show an ID to get their packet.
- If a member turns 18 by the end of 2014 they are considered an Adult per USAT, thus they must pick up their own packet.
- If you need to replace a relay member you can e-mail us using the Contact Us button with the changes.
- If it is the week of the event and you need to make a change to a relay member then you can make this change at packet pick up.
- At packet pick up you will be given a sheet of paper that explains how the relays will work (chip hand off, tagging spot, etc.).
- If you are an individual that wishes to switch to a relay team, then you can e-mail us, using the Contact Us button at the top of the page, the following information: Team Name, Team Member Names, Team Member Shirt sizes. You will need to pay the difference to convert to a relay, which you can pay at packet pick up (cash or check only). If it is the week of the event, then you can make these changes at packet pick up.
Swim Time Information
- Swim Times: All participants must submit a 100 yard swim time for seeding purposes.
Being a pool swim with a staggered start, participants are seeded from fastest to slowest.
It is in your best interest to submit an accurate 100 yard “pace” time for your swim. In other words, don’t submit your fastest 100 yard swim time, submit a 100 yard time that represents what you’ll do on race day over the event distance. By seeding yourself properly, you’ll end up swimming near people who swim the same pace as you. This will reduce the number of people who you will need to pass or the number of people who will be passing you.
- Seeding Order: All participants will be sorted by the submitted 100-yard swim time. Any athlete who registers at packet pick-up will be seeded AFTER the last pre-registered athlete begins. We will give a 4-5 minute break between the last pre-registered athlete and the first walk-in registered athlete. This is to allow time for the pool to clear so the fast walk-in registered athletes do not have to swim over anyone.
- Pool Swim Etiquette: It is appropriate for a swimmer to yield at the wall and wait to be passed if the person behind them is “on their feet” or “tickling their toes”. These issues come about it seems from not properly determining an accurate 100 yard swim time.
- Changing Swim Times: Athletes can request a change in swim time until Friday, July 7. After that, no changes will be made. Email Benji@jonesracingcompany.com with any changes.
Below is a brief description of each race category:
- Age Group – Participants competing in their age group.
- Clydesdale – Category for male participants who are over 220 lbs.
- Master Clydesdale – Category for male participants who are over 220 lbs. and are 40 or over.
- Athena – Category for women over 165 lbs.
- Para Triathlete – Athletes who are physically challenged or assisted by a guide
- Mixed Relay – Mix of male and female team members. Can also include all female and all male relay team members.
- Family Relay – Family relay team. Please note that each Family team must include at least one minor (Ages 10-17) in order to be eligible.
NOTE: You may fit into one or more of the above categories, so whichever category you choose to compete in is completely your choice. Choose the category that you feel you would have the most fun competing in.
USAT Rules and Information
ALL USAT members must show proof of a current membership at packet pick up. If you have recently renewed a membership, then you MUST print out a temporary card or receipt of payment (that shows length of the membership period) to show at packet pick up. We will not take your word for it that your membership is current; you must SHOW us. Failure to do so will result in having to pay the one-day fee of $15.
You can go to the USAT WEBSITE where you can renew your membership or print out a temporary card. You can also renew your membership at packet pick up if that’s easier for you.
If I entered my USAT information when I registered, then why do I need to show my card at packet pick up? USAT rules state that all USAT members must show a valid membership card at packet pick up and failure to do so will result in having to pay the 1-day fee. Our events are sanction by USAT, therefore, we must follow these rules. Our website is not connected to USAT’s website, so the information that you enter when you register could be incorrect. We must physically document the current expiration date of your membership when you pick up your packet as this is the only way we can confirm 100% that your membership is in fact current.
USAT’s “Age Up” Policy:
An athlete’s age for any USAT sanctioned race will be his/her age as of Dec. 31, 2017 . The age he/she is on 12/31 will determine his/her racing age group. If an athlete is due to “age-up” into the next group, it will happen at the beginning of the year, not after the athlete’s birthday. This action aligns regular U.S. age group racing with the method used by USA Triathlon for its National Rankings Program and its new Grand Prix Series.
Example: John Smith is 39 and will turn 40 on November 20, 2017
John will be considered 40 for all 2017 races – and will race in the 40-44 age group at all 2017 races.
Sally Jones is 29 and will turn 30 on July 3, 2017.
Sally will be considered 30 for all 2017 races – and will race in the 30-34 age group at all 2017 races.
Policies and Refunds
REFUND POLICY: All proceeds from Tri! Ballantyne go directly towards helping local kids in need and provide them the opportunity to thrive through YMCA Afterschool, Camps and other Youth programming. We appreciate your participation and community support. 50% of your entry fee will be refunded until June 28. No refunds will be issued for any reason after June 28. Entries CANNOT be transferred or deferred to another person, event, or year. NO EXCEPTIONS will be made to this policy. By registering for this event you agree to this refund policy. To request a refund, you must complete the refund request form below.
Refund Request Form
WEATHER POLICY: In the event of inclement the following procedures will be followed:
The event will be postponed until 7:45AM in hopes the inclement weather will pass.
If inclement weather does not pass by 7:45AM , the event will be changed to a duathlon format.
Every effort will be made to have this event on time on this date. Should this event be cancelled due to an Act of God or other circumstance beyond the race director’s control there will be no refunds, credits, or transfers.
NO EXCEPTIONS will be made to this policy. By registering for this event you agree to this weather policy.