Surf City Double Sprint Triathlon
- Date: The city has decided to hold off on the event until 2015 due to scheduling conflicts with the city/beaches
- Location: Surf City, NC
- Race Start Time: 7:00 AM
- Race Distance: Swim 375yds, Run 1.5 mile, Bike 15 miles, Run 1.5 mile, Swim 375 yds
- Registration Closes:
- Race Cap: 200
The Surf City Double Sprint is back and better than ever. New bike course, new Formula 1/super sprint style, new run course, new experience!
Competitors start out with a 375 meter ocean swim (water temp – 80 degrees). Upon exiting the water, participants put on their running gear at the “Beach Transition Area” and run 1.5 miles to the “Bike Transition Area”. Participants then complete a 15 mile bike ride on an out and back course. Then it’s back on with the running gear for the 1.5 mile run back to the “Beach Transition Area”. Participants complete the race by once again swimming the 375 meter course.
NOTE: Despite the 1.5 mile run between the two transition areas, these transition areas are located across the street from one another.
The race starts with a 375 meter swim in the Atlantic – pretty much out just past the breakers, then parallel to the beach for about 250 meters, and then back in to the beach. The waves are usually very small this time of the year and this early in the morning. The water temperature is about 80 degrees. Both the first swim and the last swim are always done in the same direction – with the current.
Once on the beach, participants enter the beach transition area, grab their running shoes and begin their first run segment. The 1.5 mile run out and back course is flat with no shade. The 1.5 mile run ends at the bike transition area. Following the bike segment, participants will cover this same 1.5 mile run course in the opposite direction – as they make their way back to the beach transition area and prepare for the final swim.
The 15 mile bike is a flat out & back course. It is quite fast starting at the Surf City Fire Department and working its way down to the turn-around at the North Topsail Beach Town Hall. There will be minimal traffic in the morning and plenty of volunteers and police to guide you on the course. Participants will arrive back at the bike transition and begin the second 1.5 mile run.
The second 1.5 mile run is the same out and back course as the first run – flat with no shade. The second 1.5 mile run ends at the beach transition area this time as participants will do the swim for a second time to finish the race.
The race finishes on the beach with the completion of the second 375 meter swim in the Atlantic – both the first swim and the last swim are always done in the same direction – with the current.
Participants will enter the beach transition, drop their running shoes and pick up their swim cap and goggles to start the second swim. Participants will then run down the beach to the swim start location and begin the second swim and final leg of the race. The race finishes on the beach at the beach finish line inflatable.
- $55.00 January 1 – March 31
- $60.00 April 1 – April 30
- $65.00 May 1 – June 18
- $70.00 Packet Pick Up and Race Day
- $80.00 January 1 – March 31
- $85.00 April 1 – April 30
- $90.00 May 1 – June 18
- $100.00 Packet Pick Up and Race Day
This pricing is based upon Date. Once a date is reached the price will increase to the next tier
On-site registration is available for this event during normal packet pick up hours.
5:00 PM – 7:00 PM
@ Race Site:
Surf City Fire Department
200 Wilmington Ave.
Surf City, NC 28445
5:00 AM – 6:30 AM
@ Race Site:
Surf City Fire Department
200 Wilmington Ave.
Surf City, NC 28445
NOTE: Photo ID is required for packet pick-up. Everyone must pick up their own race packet.
USA Triathlon requires that all USAT annual members must show their USAT membership card at packet pick-up.
Any USAT annual member who does not present his/her valid membership card at packet pick-up, will be required to pay the USAT one-day fee of $12.
- 5:00 AM – Transition Area Opens
- 5:00 AM – Race day registration opens
- 6:30 AM – Race day registration closes
- 7:00 AM – Race Start
- 11:00 AM – Projected awards ceremony (will be adjusted based on last finisher’s time)
A participant orientation meeting will be held at 6:00 PM on Friday, June 20 at Race Site.
Top 3 in each of the following categories:
- Top 3 M/F Open (Elite)
- Top 3 M/F Masters Open (Elite 40+)
- Top 3 Age Groups (M/F):15 & Under, 16-19,20-24,25-29,30-34,35-39,40-44,45-49,50-54,55-59,60-64,65-69, 70-74,75-79,80-84, 85+
- Top 3 Clydesdales (Men 39 and Under, 220lbs+)
- Top 3 Master Clydesdales(Men 40+ and 220lbs+)
- Top 3 Athenas (Women 165lbs+)
- Top 3 Assisted Athletes (M/F)
- Top 3 Novice (M/F)
- Top 3 Master Novice (Beginners 40+) (M/F)
- Top 3 Relay Teams (Mixed)
- Open – Category for Elite participants. These are typically the fastest people in the race and they compete on an Elite/Professional level.
- Masters Open – Same as above, but these Elite participants are 40 and over.
- Age Group – Participants competing in their age group.
- Clydesdale – Category for male participants who are over 220 lbs.
- Master Clydesdale – Category for male participants who are over 220 lbs. and are 40 or over.
- Athena – Category for women over 165 lbs.
- Novice – Category for beginner participants. Participants competing as a Novice have usually done less than 3 events.
- Master Novice – Same as Novice but these participants are beginners who are 40 or over.
- Below is a brief description of each race category:
NOTE: You may fit into one or more of the above categories, so whichever category you choose to compete in is completely your choice. Choose the category that you feel you would have the most fun competing in.
- Relays can be 2-person (one person does 2 legs, and one person does 1 leg) or 3-person teams (each person does 1 leg of the event).
- EACH Relay member MUST pick up his/her own packet.
- EACH Member MUST have their photo ID and USAT card (if applicable) to pick up their packet.
- If a member is a minor (17 or under), then a parent/guardian must show an ID to get their packet.
- If a member turns 18 by the end of 2013 they are considered an Adult per USAT, thus they must pick up their own packet.
- If you need to replace a relay member you can e-mail us using the Contact Us button with the changes.
- If it is the week of the event and you need to make a change to a relay member then you can make this change at packet pick up.
- At packet pick up you will be given a sheet of paper that explains how the relays will work (chip hand off, tagging spot, etc.).
- If you are an individual that wishes to switch to a relay team, then you can e-mail us, using the Contact Us button at the top of the page, the following information: Team Name, Team Member Names, Team Member Shirt sizes. You will need to pay the difference to convert to a relay, which you can pay at packet pick up (cash or check only). If it is the week of the event, then you can make these changes at packet pick up.
USAT Rules and Information
ALL USAT members must show proof of a current membership at packet pick up. If you have recently renewed a membership, then you MUST print out a temporary card or receipt of payment (that shows length of the membership period) to show at packet pick up. We will not take your word for it that your membership is current; you must SHOW us. Failure to do so will result in having to pay the one-day fee of $12.
You can go to the USAT WEBSITE where you can renew your membership or print out a temporary card. You can also renew your membership at packet pick up if that’s easier for you.
If I entered my USAT information when I registered, then why do I need to show my card at packet pick up? USAT rules state that all USAT members must show a valid membership card at packet pick up and failure to do so will result in having to pay the 1-day fee. Our events are sanction by USAT, therefore, we must follow these rules. Our website is not connected to USAT’s website, so the information that you enter when you register could be incorrect. We must physically document the current expiration date of your membership when you pick up your packet as this is the only way we can confirm 100% that your membership is in fact current.
USAT’s “Age Up” Policy:
An athlete’s age for any USAT sanctioned race will be his/her age as of Dec. 31, 2014 . The age he/she is on 12/31 will determine his/her racing age group. If an athlete is due to “age-up” into the next group, it will happen at the beginning of the year, not after the athlete’s birthday. This action aligns regular U.S. age group racing with the method used by USA Triathlon for its National Rankings Program and its new Grand Prix Series.
Example: John Smith is 39 and will turn 40 on November 20, 2014.
John will be considered 40 for all 2014 races – and will race in the 40-44 age group at all 2014 races.
Sally Jones is 29 and will turn 30 on July 3, 2014.
Sally will be considered 30 for all 2014 races – and will race in the 30-34 age group at all 2014 races.
Policies and Refunds
REFUND POLICY: 50% of your entry fee will be refunded until June 4, 2014. No refunds will be issued for any reason after June 4, 2014. Entries CANNOT be transferred or defered to another person, event, or year. NO EXCEPTIONS will be made to this policy. By registering for this event you agree to this refund policy. To request a refund, you must complete the refund request form below.
Refund Request Form
WEATHER POLICY: In the event of inclement the following procedures will be followed:
The event will be postponed until 7:45AM in hopes the inclement weather will pass.
If inclement weather does not pass by 7:45AM , the event will be changed to a duathlon format.
Every effort will be made to have this event on time on this date. Should this event be cancelled due to an Act of God or other circumstance beyond the race directors control there will be no refunds, credits, or transfers.
NO EXCEPTIONS will be made to this policy. By registering for this event you agree to this weather policy.