Stumpy Creek International and Sprint
- Date: July 11, 2015
- Location: Mooresville, NC
- Race Start Time: 7:00 AM
- Race Distance – International: Swim 1.5K, Bike 45K, Run 10K
- Race Distance – Sprint: Swim 750m, Bike 12 miles, Run 5K
- Registration Closes: Wednesday, July 8, 2015 at 7am
- Race Cap: 500 per race
- Minimum Age: 10 on 12/31/15
*2014 Race Day water temp was 82 degrees*
- Entry Fees
- Packet Pickup
- Category Info
- Relay Info
- USAT Info
Located in Iredell County, Stumpy Creek Park is a hidden gem. Voted one of the best bike courses in the state, Stumpy Creek offers a challenging, yet beautiful experience for triathletes.
The swim takes place in Lake Norman. Participants will be assigned waves based on age group/category. Swim caps will be provided for you.
The bike course is a fast yet challenging course with rolling hills. It takes participants on rural country roads through Iredell County.
The run course winds through the local neighborhood. There are some tough hills, but the finish line makes it worth it.
The 1,500-meter swim takes place on calm, warm waters in a protected Lake Norman cove. Athletes will be able to stand in the water at the start (depth is about 4 to 5 feet), and the course is basically a rectangle, with four left turns that end with a boat-ramp exit. Unlike many races, the run to the transition area is short and sweet, all on asphalt.
The ride includes 45 kilometers (CLICK HERE for Garmin course map) of scenic roads that wind through Mooresville, Troutman and the outskirts of Statesville before circling back and running parallel along the northernmost reaches of Lake Norman. Athletes will confront rolling hills but also flat and fast stretches, and a beautiful, quiet spin through Lake Norman State Park from Miles 19-21. Don’t forget to save something for the final couple hills before the big drop back into the park.
Often remembered for the punishing hill you have to run up — twice — it’s easy to forget the gigantic descent in the middle of the double-loop 10k course. Magnificent houses will help distract athletes as they roll through sections of the Bay Crossing neighborhood, while smart pacing will give you an advantage on the big hill the second time around. The final half-mile is a welcome reward: Lightning-fast, with great crowd support. There will be ice cold towels on course for the International.
Individuals – International
- $70.00 November 1 – April 30
- $75.00 May 1 – June 30
- $80.00 July 1 – July 8
- $85.00 On Site
Relays – International
- $100.00 November 1 – April 30
- $110.00 May 1 – June 30
- $120.00 July 1 – July 8
- $130.00 On Site
Individuals – Sprint
- $60.00 November 1 – April 30
- $65.00 May 1 – June 30
- $70.00 July 1 – July 8
- $75.00 On Site
Relays – Sprint
- $90.00 November 1 – April 30
- $100.00 May 1 – June 30
- $110.00 July 1 – July 8
- $120.00 On Site
This pricing is based upon Date. Once a date is reached the price will increase to the next tier
On-site registration is available for this event during normal packet pick up hours.
5:00 PM – 7:00 PM
@ Stumpy Creek Park – Race Site
160 Stumpy Creek Road
Mooresville, NC 28117
5:00 AM – 6:30 AM
@ Stumpy Creek Park – Race Site
160 Stumpy Creek Road
Mooresville, NC 28117
NOTE: Photo ID is required for packet pick-up. Everyone must pick up their own race packet.
USA Triathlon requires that all USAT annual members must show their USAT membership card at packet pick-up.
Any USAT annual member who does not present his/her valid membership card at packet pick-up, will be required to pay the USAT one-day fee of $12.
- 5:00 AM – Transition Area Opens
- 5:00 AM – Race day registration opens
- 6:30 AM – Race day registration closes
- 7:00 AM – Race Start
- 11:00 AM – Projected awards ceremony (will be adjusted based on last finisher’s time)
A participant orientation meeting will be held at 6:00 PM on Friday, July 10 at Race Site.
Timing and Results Information
This event will be timed using the Mylaps timing system. A timing chip will be provided for you the morning of the event. You will need to show your run number to the volunteers at the Timing Chip Pick Up tent. They will hand you a disposable strap to use to fasten the chip to your ankle. We will have velcro straps available for $5 if you would rather purchase one of those (the disposable straps come with the chip). Volunteers will collect the timing chip from you at the end of the finish line chute. Relay teams will receive a velcro strap with their chip, as the chip is what is passed from member to member. The strap and chip will be collected at the finish line.
Five splits will be provided: Swim, T1 (transition from the end of the swim to the start of the bike), Bike, T2 (transition from the end of the bike to the start of the run), and Run.
For on site results, we have a large, flat screen TV scrolling the results. Results on the screen update about every minute so athletes are able to see their times pretty quickly after crossing the finish line.
On each run number, there will be a QR code which will provide your finish times for you upon scanning. To use this feature, be sure you have a QR Code Scanner app on your phone (these apps are free). This is a really nice way to get your times without looking over anyone’s shoulder.
We also provide live results and real time alerts (text, email, Facebook, Twitter). Live results means that the results will be streaming onto our website so people who are either not at the event or are spectating can access results as they happen. The live results feed has a leader board feature as well as a searchable feature if you are looking for times for a specific athlete. You can also check age group and category placings on the live results feed. The real time alerts allow for athletes, friends, family to sign up for alerts. You can choose the medium (text, email, Facebook, Twitter) with which you want to receive the alerts, and when the athlete you are tracking crosses the finish line or various split points, you will receive an immediate notification. This is a fun feature for both spectators and athletes. It allows spectators to track the athlete’s progress and it’s a great way for an athlete to immediately get their results.
The link to these pages will be available race week.
Full official results are posted on our 2015 Results Calendar within 1-2 hours of the last finisher crossing the line.
Top 3 in each of the following categories:
- Top 3 M/F Open (Elite)
- Top 3 M/F Masters Open (Elite 40+)
- Top 3 M/F Collegiate
- Top 3 Age Groups (M/F):15 & Under, 16-19,20-24,25-29,30-34,35-39,40-44,45-49,50-54,55-59,60-64,65-69, 70-74,75-79,80-84, 85+
- Top 3 Clydesdales (Men 39 and Under, 220+ lbs)
- Top 3 Master Clydesdales(Men 40+ and 220lbs+)
- Top 3 Athenas (Women 165lbs+)
- Top 3 Assisted Athletes (M/F)
- Top 3 Novice (M/F)
- Top 3 Master Novice (Beginners 40+) (M/F)
- Top 3 Relay Teams (Mixed)
- Top 3 Aquabike (International Only)
- Open – Category for Elite participants. These are typically the fastest people in the race and they compete on an Elite/Professional level.
- Masters Open – Same as above, but these Elite participants are 40 and over.
- Age Group – Participants competing in their age group.
- Clydesdale – Category for male participants who are over 220 lbs.
- Collegiate – Participants who are members of a collegiate tri team.
- Master Clydesdale – Category for male participants who are over 220 lbs. and are 40 or over.
- Athena – Category for women over 165 lbs.
- Novice – Category for beginner participants. Participants competing as a Novice have usually done less than 3 events.
- Master Novice – Same as Novice but these participants are beginners who are 40 or over.
- Aquabike – Participants completing only the swim and bike portion of the event
- Below is a brief description of each race category:
NOTE: You may fit into one or more of the above categories, so whichever category you choose to compete in is completely your choice. Choose the category that you feel you would have the most fun competing in.
- Relays can be 2-person (one person does 2 legs, and one person does 1 leg) or 3-person teams (each person does 1 leg of the event).
- EACH Relay member MUST pick up his/her own packet.
- EACH Member MUST have their photo ID and USAT card (if applicable) to pick up their packet.
- If a member is a minor (17 or under), then a parent/guardian must show an ID to get their packet.
- If a member turns 18 by the end of 2013 they are considered an Adult per USAT, thus they must pick up their own packet.
- If you need to replace a relay member you can e-mail us using the Contact Us button with the changes.
- If it is the week of the event and you need to make a change to a relay member then you can make this change at packet pick up.
- At packet pick up you will be given a sheet of paper that explains how the relays will work (chip hand off, tagging spot, etc.).
- If you are an individual that wishes to switch to a relay team, then you can e-mail us, using the Contact Us button at the top of the page, the following information: Team Name, Team Member Names, Team Member Shirt sizes. You will need to pay the difference to convert to a relay, which you can pay at packet pick up (cash or check only). If it is the week of the event, then you can make these changes at packet pick up.
Tricycle Studios are the Official Photographers of this event. They will be positioned around the course and will capture images on each leg of the event. Participants will receive an e-mail with a link to their photos within a few days of the event finishing. Questions can be sent to email@example.com
Sleep Inn & Suites Mooresville
132 Meadow Hill Cir, Mooresville, NC 28117
120 Consumer Square Drive, Mooresville, NC 28117
USAT Rules and Information
ALL USAT members must show proof of a current membership at packet pick up. If you have recently renewed a membership, then you MUST print out a temporary card or receipt of payment (that shows length of the membership period) to show at packet pick up. We will not take your word for it that your membership is current; you must SHOW us. Failure to do so will result in having to pay the one-day fee of $12.
You can go to the USAT WEBSITE where you can renew your membership or print out a temporary card. You can also renew your membership at packet pick up if that’s easier for you.
If I entered my USAT information when I registered, then why do I need to show my card at packet pick up? USAT rules state that all USAT members must show a valid membership card at packet pick up and failure to do so will result in having to pay the 1-day fee. Our events are sanction by USAT, therefore, we must follow these rules. Our website is not connected to USAT’s website, so the information that you enter when you register could be incorrect. We must physically document the current expiration date of your membership when you pick up your packet as this is the only way we can confirm 100% that your membership is in fact current.
USAT’s “Age Up” Policy:
An athlete’s age for any USAT sanctioned race will be his/her age as of Dec. 31, 2015 . The age he/she is on 12/31 will determine his/her racing age group. If an athlete is due to “age-up” into the next group, it will happen at the beginning of the year, not after the athlete’s birthday. This action aligns regular U.S. age group racing with the method used by USA Triathlon for its National Rankings Program and its new Grand Prix Series.
Example: John Smith is 39 and will turn 40 on November 20, 2015.
John will be considered 40 for all 2015 races – and will race in the 40-44 age group at all 2015 races.
Sally Jones is 29 and will turn 30 on July 3, 2015.
Sally will be considered 30 for all 2015 races – and will race in the 30-34 age group at all 2015 races.
Policies and Refunds
REFUND POLICY: 50% of your entry fee will be refunded until June 24, 2015. No refunds will be issued for any reason after June 24. Entries CANNOT be transferred or deferred to another person, event, or year. NO EXCEPTIONS will be made to this policy. By registering for this event you agree to this refund policy. To request a refund, you must complete the refund request form below.
Refund Request Form
WEATHER POLICY: In the event of inclement the following procedures will be followed:
The event will be postponed until 8:45AM in hopes the inclement weather will pass.
If inclement weather does not pass by 8:45AM , the event will be changed to a duathlon format.
Every effort will be made to have this event on time on this date. Should this event be cancelled due to an Act of God or other circumstance beyond the race directors control there will be no refunds, credits, or transfers.
NO EXCEPTIONS will be made to this policy. By registering for this event you agree to this weather policy.