SPWOC We Care Run/Walk for Hunger 5K
- Date: Saturday, November 18, 2017
- Location: Winston-Salem, NC | Gateway YWCA/Greenway Strollway
- Race Start Time: 9:00 AM 1 Mile Fun Run / 9:30 AM 5K
- Race Distance: 5K (3.1 miles), 1 mile
- Registration Closes: Thursday, November 16 at 9:00am
We cordially invite you to participate in the 1st SPWOC We Care Run/Walk for Hunger 5K.
Between 2010-16 North Carolina has regularly ranked among the top ten states with the highest percentage of citizens experiencing food shortages; over 1,764,000 of our neighbors or nearly one in six.
NC has several cities with some of the highest levels of food insecurity in the nation: Greensboro, High Point, and Winston-Salem.
**Data is from 2014 Hunger in America Study, by Feeding America and the Food Hardship in America 2015 Report from the Food Research and Action Center.
This event will bring awareness about hunger in Forsyth County and raise money to support the SPWOC’s We Care House and We Care Garden. The We Care House is an outreach of SPWOC where we give food and clothing to our members, visitors and the community. We also grow fresh vegetables in our garden to supplement the food distributed through our We Care House. During 2016, the We Care House supplied food and clothing to over 2500 individuals in Forsyth County of all races and nationalities.
Participation in this race will help to cover some of the cost of organizing this event, such as race participant t-shirts, awards, water, etc. Other funds will help reach the fundraising goal of $40,000 to support efforts at the SPWOC We Care House and We Care Garden.
Walking or running strollers are allowed. Children under 13 years of age must be accompanied/supervised by an adult.
5K participants will receive a bib with a timing chip and the results will be posted as participants cross the finish line.
- $25 May 1 – August 31
- $30 September 1 – November 15 (close of online registration)
- $35 Packet pick up and race day
- $15 May 1 – August 31
- $20 September 1 – Race Day
Friday, November 17
@ Omega Sports – Thruway Shopping Center
414 S Stratford Rd
Winston-Salem, NC 27103
Saturday, November, 18
8:00 AM – 9:00 AM
@ Greenway Strollway across from YWCA
Gateway YWCA/Greenway Strollway
1300 S Main St
Winston-Salem, NC 27127
- 8:00am: Race Day Registration Opens/Packet Pick Up
- 9:00am: Registration Closes
- 9:00am: 1 Mile Starts
- 9:30am: 5K Starts
- 10:30am: Projected awards ceremony (will be adjusted based on last finisher’s time)
- Top 1 Male Overall
- Top 1 Female Overall
- Top 1 Male and Female in each age group: 0-10, 11-15, 16-20, 21-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60+
Policies and Refunds
REFUND POLICY: Entries are non-refundable and cannot be transferred from person to person.