Glade Springs Charlie Williamson Memorial Triathlon
- Date: June 14, 2014
- Location: Beckley, WV
- Race Start Time: 9:00 AM
- Race Distance: Swim 750m, Bike 12 Miles, Run 5K
- Registration Closes: Wednesday, June 11, 2014 at 9:00 am
- Race Cap: 200
*Current water temp 72 degrees on 6/12.
One of the most beautiful venues that you can race! Beckley is a reasonable drive from Charlotte and many places in the Triad. Gorgeous swim, bike, and run courses and an excellent post-race food spread!
There will be a post race picnic for race participants and volunteers. Additional tickets are $27/adults, $12/kids 6-12 and FREE/kids 5 and under.
The 750 meter swim will be in the beautifull Chatham Lake. The lake surrounds the resort and the mountains. Waves and chop are light and water quality is excellent. The swim course is a triangle shaped course. Participants exit the water and run about 10 yards to the Transition Area 1 (bike start).
The bike course is a one loop course on smooth roads. The course has a few challenging hills but they are well worth the view at the top. Police and volunteers man each intersection and turns are marked with directional signs. The bike course ends at the Glade Springs Resort (Transition Area 2).
The 5K run is a one loop course. The run consist of no major hills and provides a great view of the Resort. Aid stations are positioned every 1.5 miles.
- $60.00 January 1 – April 30
- $70.00 May 1 – May 31
- $80.00 June 1 – Close of Online Reg
- $90.00 Packet Pick Up and Race Day
- $90.00 January 1 – April 30
- $100.00 May 1 – May 31
- $110.00 June 1 – Close of Online Reg
- $120.00 Packet Pick Up and Race Day
This pricing is based upon Date. Once a date is reached the price will increase to the next tier
On-site registration will be available for this event during normal packet pick up hours.
5:00 PM – 7:00 PM
@ Glade Springs Resort Hotel
255 Resort Drive
Daniels, WV 25832
7:00 AM – 8:15 AM
@ Swim Start/T1 Location
NOTE: Photo ID is required for packet pick-up. Everyone must pick up their own race packet.
USA Triathlon requires that all USAT annual members must show their USAT membership card at packet pick-up.
Any USAT annual member who does not present his/her valid membership card at packet pick-up, will be required to pay the USAT one-day fee of $12.
@ The Glade Springs Resort Hotel
Pre-race pasta dinner in the Hotel from 6:30-9:00pm. Tickets for the pasta dinner will be given to race participants during packet pickup and additional tickets may be purchased for spouses and spectators. Pricing for additional tickets to the pasta dinner is $17/adults and $12/kids 6-12 and FREE/kids 5 and under.
- 7:00 AM – Transition Area Open
- 7:00 AM – Race day registration opens
- 8:15 AM – Race day registration closes
- 9:00 AM – Race Start
- 12:00 PM – Projected awards ceremony (will be adjusted based on last finisher’s time)
A participant orientation meeting will be held at 6:00 PM on Friday, June 13 at the athlete dinner.
Top 3 in each of the following categories:
- Top 3 M/F Overall
- Top 3 M/F Masters Overall
- Top 3 Age Groups (M/F):15 & Under, 16-19,20-24,25-29,30-34,35-39,40-44,45-49,50-54,55-59,60-64,65-69, 70-74,75-79,80-84, 85+
- Top 3 Clydesdales (Men 39 and under, 220+ lbs)
- Top 3 Master Clydesdales (Men 40+, 220+ lbs)
- Top 3 Athenas (Women 165lbs+)
- Top 3 Relay Teams
- Relays can be 2-person (one person does 2 legs, and one person does 1 leg) or 3-person teams (each person does 1 leg of the event).
- EACH Relay member MUST pick up his/her own packet.
- EACH Member MUST have their photo ID and USAT card (if applicable) to pick up their packet.
- If a member is a minor (17 or under), then a parent/guardian must show an ID to get their packet.
- If a member turns 18 by the end of 2013 they are considered an Adult per USAT, thus they must pick up their own packet.
- If you need to replace a relay member you can e-mail us using the Contact Us button with the changes.
- If it is the week of the event and you need to make a change to a relay member then you can make this change at packet pick up.
- At packet pick up you will be given a sheet of paper that explains how the relays will work (chip hand off, tagging spot, etc.).
- If you are an individual that wishes to switch to a relay team, then you can e-mail us, using the Contact Us button at the top of the page, the following information: Team Name, Team Member Names, Team Member Shirt sizes. You will need to pay the difference to convert to a relay, which you can pay at packet pick up (cash or check only). If it is the week of the event, then you can make these changes at packet pick up.
255 Resort Drive
Daniels, West Virginia 25832
Executive two-room king suites available for $99/night plus tax and resort fee. Does not include breakfast. Accommodates 4 people.
2010 Promo Video
USAT Rules and Information
ALL USAT members must show proof of a current membership at packet pick up. If you have recently renewed a membership, then you MUST print out a temporary card or receipt of payment (that shows length of the membership period) to show at packet pick up. We will not take your word for it that your membership is current; you must SHOW us. Failure to do so will result in having to pay the one-day fee of $12.
You can go to the USAT WEBSITE where you can renew your membership or print out a temporary card. You can also renew your membership at packet pick up if that’s easier for you.
If I entered my USAT information when I registered, then why do I need to show my card at packet pick up? USAT rules state that all USAT members must show a valid membership card at packet pick up and failure to do so will result in having to pay the 1-day fee. Our events are sanction by USAT, therefore, we must follow these rules. Our website is not connected to USAT’s website, so the information that you enter when you register could be incorrect. We must physically document the current expiration date of your membership when you pick up your packet as this is the only way we can confirm 100% that your membership is in fact current.
USAT’s “Age Up” Policy:
An athlete’s age for any USAT sanctioned race will be his/her age as of Dec. 31, 2014 . The age he/she is on 12/31 will determine his/her racing age group. If an athlete is due to “age-up” into the next group, it will happen at the beginning of the year, not after the athlete’s birthday. This action aligns regular U.S. age group racing with the method used by USA Triathlon for its National Rankings Program and its new Grand Prix Series.
Example: John Smith is 39 and will turn 40 on November 20, 2014.
John will be considered 40 for all 2014 races – and will race in the 40-44 age group at all 2014 races.
Sally Jones is 29 and will turn 30 on July 3, 2014.
Sally will be considered 30 for all 2014 races – and will race in the 30-34 age group at all 2014 races.
NO SPECTATOR PARKING AT THE LAKE TRANSITION AREA!
The Glade Springs Triathlon is a “point-to-point” race. As such – this race presents participants and race organizers with some unique logistical challenges. We have attempted to make this as easy for participants as possible. It will be important that all participants follow these instructions. At packet pick-up, all participants will be given an envelope containing one plastic bag w/drawstrings. The plastic bag will have your race number written on the outside of it. You will use this bag at the swim start/finish transition area (T1).
You’ll notice that the bike racks at the Resort TA (T2) will be individually numbered – look for your specific rack. The racks at the Lake TA(T1) are NOT individually numbered, they are number ranges (1-6, 7-12, etc). You may rack your bike anywhere on those racks. Remember where you are located at the Resort TA (T2) – you won’t see this spot again until you finish the bike course.
Directions to Transition 2 from Swim Start/Finish TA (T1) – Turn Right out of the Swim Start/Finish TA (T1), Right on Lakeside Dr, Right on Far County Dr, Right on Edward Dr, Right on Lake Dr, Follow traffic circle around stay straight on Lake Dr, Left on Club Circle, Park in the designated area near T2 and the finish line (Club house).
Directions to Transition 1 from Resort TA (T2) – Turn Right on Lake Dr, Left on Edward Dr, Left on Far County Dr, Left on Lakeside Dr, Left on Far County Dr, T1 will be on your left.
1) On race morning, participants who already picked up their race packets on Friday, will go need to go directly to the Swim Start/Finish location (T1) to drop off your bike and swim gear – (proceed to paragraph #3)
2) On race morning, participants who have NOT picked up their race packets will go to the Swim Start/Finish location (T1). Those participants will pick up their packets and drop off their bikes, all their bike gear, and all their swim gear (T1). The racks at T1 are NOT individually numbered (the bike racks at the Glade Springs Resort TA (T2) are individually numbered). Volunteers and race staff will be present – so participants should not worry about leaving their bikes and gear. Make sure you leave everything you will need for the Swim-to-Bike transition. Make sure you leave your plastic bag – marked with your race number at T1. When you exit the water and get to the transition area – stuff your goggles, swim cap, and all other belongings (including your wetsuit – if applicable) into the bag – and leave it at your spot (bike rack).
3) Participants will then drive their cars to the Glade Springs Resort TA (T2) (5 minute drive) where the Race Finish is located. Once there, participants will be directed to parking areas close to the finish line. Before you drop your run gear at the Glade Springs Resort TA (T2), grab your run number and pick up your timing chip at the green tent, located near the TA and right next to the bus staging area. You will need to show your run number in order to receive your timing chip. Once you have your timing chip, drop your run gear at the Glade Springs Resort TA (T2) – adjacent to the finish line. Once again, find your numbered bike rack. At the Glade Springs Resort TA (T2) – the bike racks will be individually numbered. Find your specific spot and lay out your run gear. As with the other transition area – make a note of where you are – to eliminate confusion when you come in off the bike.
4) At this point you’re ready to be transported to the Swim Start location. Buses will be provided to take you out to swim start. Friends and family are welcome to ride out on the buses – these buses will be returning to the Glade Springs Resort finish line following the swim start. DON’T FORGET YOUR TIMING CHIP & ANKLE BAND. When the race starts – you can insert anything you’re not wearing during the swim into your plastic bag. Leave the plastic bag at your designated bike rack.
5) When the race is over – your plastic bag from swim start/finish TA (T1) will be transported back to the race finish location. All bags will be lined up in numerical sequence – to allow you to easily find your gear. These bags will be back to the finish line location before the final competitor finishes the race. This will prevent you from having to go back out to the lake following the race.
NO SPECTATOR PARKING AT THE LAKE TRANSITION AREA!
Policies and Refunds
REFUND POLICY: 50% of your entry fee will be refunded until May 28, 2014. No refunds will be issued for any reason after May 28, 2014. Entries CANNOT be transferred or deferred to another person, event, or year. NO EXCEPTIONS will be made to this policy. By registering for this event you agree to this refund policy. To request a refund, you must complete the refund request form below.
Refund Request Form
WEATHER POLICY: In the event of inclement the following procedures will be followed:
The event will be postponed until 9:45AM in hopes the inclement weather will pass.
If inclement weather does not pass by 9:45AM , the event will be changed to a duathlon format.
Every effort will be made to have this event on time on this date. Should this event be cancelled due to an Act of God or other circumstance beyond the race directors control there will be no refunds, credits, or transfers.
NO EXCEPTIONS will be made to this policy. By registering for this event you agree to this weather policy.