- Date: May 4, 2014
- Location: Charlotte, NC
- Race Start Time: 7:20 AM
- Race Distance – International: Swim 1500m, Bike 24 miles, Run 10K
- Registration Closes: Thursday May 1, 2014
- Race Cap: 500
The event will start at the Davidson College Lake Campus (200 Lake Campus Drive, Mooresville, NC 28117) off Langtree Rd in Mooresville, NC and finish at Bailey Rd Park (11536 Bailey Rd, Cornelius, NC 28031) in Cornelius, NC. Transition #1 and Transition #2/Finish Line will be separated by only 7 miles.
This race involves some special logistics due to the point-to-point nature of the race. The swim takes place at Davidson College Lake Campus. The bike course starts at Davidson College Campus and finishes at Bailey Rd Park along with the run. See the Race Logistics Tab for specific information.
All participants will have the option to check in their bikes into the T1/Davidson College Lake Campus transition area on Saturday between 4:00 PM-7 PM or race morning from 5:00 AM – 6 AM. All athletes and spectators will be transported to T1/Davidson College Lake Campus on race morning.
Paid security guards will be on duty from 4:00 PM Saturday until 4:30 AM on Sunday morning (when race organizers and volunteers arrive).
You’ll notice that the bike racks at T1/Davidson College Lake Campus transition area will be numbered in ranges- look for your specific rack. These racks at T1/Davidson College Lake Campus are NOT individually numbered (the bike racks at T2/Bailey Rd Park are individually numbered). For the T1/Davidson College Lake Campus, you may rack your bike anywhere on the rack with your number range.
1) On race morning, all participants will need to park at Bailey Rd Middle School and William Hough High School – just a short walk from T2/Finish Line area.
2) Make sure you take everything you will need for the Swim-to-Bike transition with you on race morning. Included in this will be your two plastic bags – marked with your race number. When you exit the water and get to the transition area – stuff your goggles, swim cap, and all other belongings (including your wetsuit – if applicable) into the bag – and leave it at your spot.
3) Before you drop your run gear in T2/Bailey Rd Park transition area, grab your run number and pick up your timing chip at the green tent, located near the T.A. and right next to the bus staging area. You will need to show your run number in order to receive your timing chip. Once you have your timing chip, drop your run gear in T2/Bailey Rd Park transition area. Once again, find your numbered bike rack. At T2/ Bailey Rd Park transition area – the bike racks will be individually numbered. Find your specific spot and lay out your run gear. As with the other transition area – make a note of where you are – to eliminate confusion when you come in off the bike.
4) At this point you’re ready to be transported to the Swim Start/T1/Davidson College Lake Campus location. Buses will be provided to take you out to swim start. Friends and family are welcome to ride out on the buses – these buses will be returning to the finish line after the last swimmer has exited the lake and headed onto the bike. DON’T FORGET YOUR TIMING CHIP & ANKLE BAND.
5) When the race is over – your plastic bags from Swim Start and T1/Davidson College Lake Campus will be transported back to the race finish location. All bags will be lined up in numerical sequence – to allow you to easily find your gear. These bags will be back to the finish line location before the final competitor finishes the race. This will prevent you from having to go back out to T1 following the race.
The swim will take place at Davidson College Lake Campus off Langtree Rd. Water temperature at Lake Norman this time of the year is usually around 72 degrees which will make for a fast wetsuit legal swim. The swim will be a beach start, with participants lining up shoulder to shoulder. It will be a triangle clock wise swim course with two turns. Swim bouys will be positioned every 100 meters throughout the course. The swim exit will be a ladder exit at the end of the pier.
Transition #1 – The swim to bike transition is will be at Davidson College Lake Campus. The swim to bike transition is about 1/4 mile due to the finish location of the swim and the start location of the bike. The road from swim finish to T1 is not paved, it is a gravel road. We will provide a location at swim finish to place shoes, so participants have the option to utilize them when running from swim finish to T1.
Garmin Bike Course Map
The bike course is a 26 mile loop that will run thorugh 2 different counties. The course will start out by going directly through Mooresville heading out into rural areas of NC. The course is a combination of flats, rolling hills, rural and urban areas. The Road surface is very good throughout the course.
All participants are given will need to check in their bikes into the T1/Davidson College Lake Campus transition area on Saturday between 4:00 PM – 7PM. or Race Morning from 5 – 6:30 AM. All athletes and spectators will be transported to T1/Davidson College Lake Campus on race morning.
Transition #2 – The bike to run transition will be at Bailey Road Park.
The run course is an “out & back” with a loop design. The course is rolling, features a fair amount of shading, but also some stretches without shade. The course will leave Bailey Rd Park and connect to the Cornelius/Davidson Greenway system. It will utilize the Cornelius/Davidson Greenway system and surrounding neighborhoods in Davidson/Cornelius.
- $70.00 January 1 – January 31
- $75.00 February 1 – February 28
- $80.00 March 1 – March 31
- $85.00 April 1 – May 1
- $90.00 Packet Pick Up
- $100.00 January 1 – January 31
- $110.00 February 1 – February 28
- $120.00 March 1 – March 31
- $130.00 April 1 – May 1
- $140.00 Packet Pick Up
There is a $12.00 fee for each non-USAT registrant.
This pricing is based upon Date. Once a date is reached the price will increase to the next tier
On-site registration is available for this event during normal packet pick up hours.
4:00 PM – 7:00 PM
@ Summit Coffee
128 Main St
Davidson, NC 28036
5:00 AM – 6:30 AM
@ Davidson College Lake Campus – Swim Start/T1
200 Lake Campus Dr,
Mooresville, NC 28117
NOTE: Photo ID is required for packet pick-up. Everyone must pick up their own race packet.
USA Triathlon requires that all USAT annual members must show their USAT membership card at packet pick-up.
Any USAT annual member who does not present his/her valid membership card at packet pick-up, will be required to pay the USAT one-day fee of $12.
- 5:00 AM – Transition Area Opens
- 5:00 AM – Race day registration opens
- 6:30 AM – Race day registration closes
- 7:20 AM – Race Start
- 11:00 AM – Projected awards ceremony (will be adjusted based on last finisher’s time)
A participant orientation meeting will be held at 6:00 PM on Saturday, May 3 at Summit Coffee.
Top 3 in each of the following categories:
- Top 3 M/F Open (Elite)
- Top 3 M/F Masters Open (Elite 40+)
- Top 3 M/F Collegiate
- Top 3 Age Groups (M/F):15 & Under, 16-19,20-24,25-29,30-34,35-39,40-44,45-49,50-54,55-59,60-64,65-69, 70-74,75-79,80-84, 85+
- Top 3 Clydesdales (Men 39 and Under, 220+ lbs)
- Top 3 Master Clydesdales(Men 40+ and 220lbs+)
- Top 3 Athenas (Women 165lbs+)
- Top 3 Assisted Athletes (M/F)
- Top 3 Aquabike (swim/bike only) (M/F)
- Top 3 Novice (M/F)
- Top 3 Master Novice (Beginners 40+) (M/F)
- Top 3 Relay Teams (Mixed)
- Open – Category for Elite participants. These are typically the fastest people in the race and they compete on an Elite/Professional level.
- Masters Open – Same as above, but these Elite participants are 40 and over.
- Age Group – Participants competing in their age group.
- Clydesdale – Category for male participants who are over 220 lbs.
- Collegiate – Participants who are members of a collegiate tri team.
- Master Clydesdale – Category for male participants who are over 220 lbs. and are 40 or over.
- Athena – Category for women over 165 lbs.
- Novice – Category for beginner participants. Participants competing as a Novice have usually done less than 3 events.
- Master Novice – Same as Novice but these participants are beginners who are 40 or over.
- Aquabike – Participants who compete in the swim and bike only
- Below is a brief description of each race category:
NOTE: You may fit into one or more of the above categories, so whichever category you choose to compete in is completely your choice. Choose the category that you feel you would have the most fun competing in.
- Relays can be 2-person (one person does 2 legs, and one person does 1 leg) or 3-person teams (each person does 1 leg of the event).
- EACH Relay member MUST pick up his/her own packet.
- EACH Member MUST have their photo ID and USAT card (if applicable) to pick up their packet.
- If a member is a minor (17 or under), then a parent/guardian must show an ID to get their packet.
- If a member turns 18 by the end of 2013 they are considered an Adult per USAT, thus they must pick up their own packet.
- If you need to replace a relay member you can e-mail us using the Contact Us button with the changes.
- If it is the week of the event and you need to make a change to a relay member then you can make this change at packet pick up.
- At packet pick up you will be given a sheet of paper that explains how the relays will work (chip hand off, tagging spot, etc.).
- If you are an individual that wishes to switch to a relay team, then you can e-mail us, using the Contact Us button at the top of the page, the following information: Team Name, Team Member Names, Team Member Shirt sizes. You will need to pay the difference to convert to a relay, which you can pay at packet pick up (cash or check only). If it is the week of the event, then you can make these changes at packet pick up.
Tricycle Studios are the Official Photographers of this event. They will be positioned around the course and will capture images on each leg of the event. Participants will receive an e-mail with a link to their photos within a few days of the event finishing. Questions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Huntersville/Birkdale – $85 rate
16905 Caldwell Creek Dr.
Huntersville, NC 28078
Hampton Inn Charlotte-North/Lake Norman – $109
19501 Statesville Road
Cornelius, NC 28031
Sleep Inn & Suites Lake Norman – $74-85
16508 Northcross Drive, Huntersville, NC, US, 28078
Phone: (704) 766-2500
USAT Rules and Information
ALL USAT members must show proof of a current membership at packet pick up. If you have recently renewed a membership, then you MUST print out a temporary card or receipt of payment (that shows length of the membership period) to show at packet pick up. We will not take your word for it that your membership is current; you must SHOW us. Failure to do so will result in having to pay the one-day fee of $12.
You can go to the USAT WEBSITE where you can renew your membership or print out a temporary card. You can also renew your membership at packet pick up if that’s easier for you.
If I entered my USAT information when I registered, then why do I need to show my card at packet pick up? USAT rules state that all USAT members must show a valid membership card at packet pick up and failure to do so will result in having to pay the 1-day fee. Our events are sanction by USAT, therefore, we must follow these rules. Our website is not connected to USAT’s website, so the information that you enter when you register could be incorrect. We must physically document the current expiration date of your membership when you pick up your packet as this is the only way we can confirm 100% that your membership is in fact current.
USAT’s “Age Up” Policy:
An athlete’s age for any USAT sanctioned race will be his/her age as of Dec. 31, 2014 . The age he/she is on 12/31 will determine his/her racing age group. If an athlete is due to “age-up” into the next group, it will happen at the beginning of the year, not after the athlete’s birthday. This action aligns regular U.S. age group racing with the method used by USA Triathlon for its National Rankings Program and its new Grand Prix Series.
Example: John Smith is 39 and will turn 40 on November 20, 2014.
John will be considered 40 for all 2014 races – and will race in the 40-44 age group at all 2014 races.
Sally Jones is 29 and will turn 30 on July 3, 2014.
Sally will be considered 30 for all 2014 races – and will race in the 30-34 age group at all 2014 races.
Policies and Refunds
REFUND POLICY: 50% of your entry fee will be refunded until April 17, 2014. No refunds will be issued for any reason after April 17, 2014. Entries CANNOT be transferred or deferred to another person, event, or year. NO EXCEPTIONS will be made to this policy. By registering for this event you agree to this refund policy. To request a refund, you must complete the refund request form below.
Refund Request Form
WEATHER POLICY: In the event of inclement the following procedures will be followed:
The event will be postponed until 8:45AM in hopes the inclement weather will pass.
If inclement weather does not pass by 8:45AM , the event will be changed to a duathlon format.
Every effort will be made to have this event on time on this date. Should this event be cancelled due to an Act of God or other circumstance beyond the race directors control there will be no refunds, credits, or transfers.
NO EXCEPTIONS will be made to this policy. By registering for this event you agree to this weather policy.