Belews Lake Sprint Triathlon
- Date: Saturday, September 10, 2016
- Location: Stokesdale, NC
- Race Start Time: 9:00 AM
- Race Distance: Swim 750 meters, Bike 14.5 Miles, Run 5K
- Registration Closes: Thursday, September 8 at 9:00 am
- Race Cap: 500
- Minimum Age: 10 on 12/31/16
*Water temp usually in the mid-80s race morning*
- Entry Fees
- Packet Pickup
- Category Info
- Relay Info
- Swim Times
- USAT Info
A local favorite, this event is in it’s 8th year. The lake is beautiful and clear, the bike course is rural, and the run course is a great challenge. Participants also receive great swag – socks, finisher medals, high quality shirts, and all kinds of other goodies. Post race food includes pizza, along with oranges/bananas and other snacks. Soft drinks and water are also available. This event also has live timing, the ability to sign up for real time alerts (text, email, Facebook, and Twitter), and quick access to your own personal results from a quick scan of the QR code on your run number.
There will be bounce houses for the kids and a free kids 100 yard dash.
This event is very unique because the swim start is a Time Trial Start with athletes staggered every 10 seconds. To maximize time, 2 athletes will start the swim every 10 seconds. The last swimmer should start no later than 9:45 AM. Participants will be seeded based on their 100 yard swim time.
This unique start aspect offers a new experience from the traditional wave start format because having no wave starts greatly decreases the chances you will be kicked in the head, lose goggles, safety issues, etc.
Seasoned triathletes also will have the chance to fly through the swim and race course due to decreased bunching of athletes on the race course and in the water.
Family members/spectators will be able to cheer you on from the start to the finish. What other event allows for this? Usually you have no idea where your loved one is in the mix of arms and splashing water.
Belews Lake Triathlon is centrally located in Stokesdale, NC for easy access and short travel time from almost any spot in the Triad.
Belews Lake is a very popular lake in the Winston-Salem / Greensboro area. It is a great lake to swim in – clear water with a sandy bottom. This is an in-water start with participants lining up at the boat launch. Waves and chop are light and water quality is excellent. The swim course is a triangular-shaped course. Participants exit the water at the end of the boat launch and run about 50 yards to the transition area.
All participants must submit a 100 yard swim time for starting positioning purposes. Participants will be placed from fastest to slowest. Submitting a time that is too fast for you puts you up with swimmers who will be passing you during the swim – not good for you or them. Putting a time that is too slow places you with slower swimmers and forces you to have to pass everyone. Swim caps will be provided. Swim caps are mandatory, as this is a safety issue. Our lifeguards and water safety need to be able to see everyone in the water.
The bike course is a two loop course on smooth, rural country roads. The course has a few challenging hills. Athletes are certain to enjoy this scenic and challenging bike route. Police and volunteers man each intersection and turns are marked with directional signs.
The run course is an out and back course. It consists of some rolling hills and provides a great view of Belews Lake. 100% of the course is run on smooth roads. There will be one aid station at the turn around.
- $55.00 November 1 – April 30
- $60.00 May 1 – July 31
- $65.00 August 1 – September 8 (close of online registration)
- $70.00 Packet Pick Up Friday and Race Morning
- $90.00 November 1 – April 30
- $100.00 May 1 – July 31
- $110.00 August 1 – September 8 (close of online registration)
- $120.00 Packet Pick Up Friday and Race Morning
This pricing is based upon Date. Once a date is reached the price will increase to the next tier
On-site registration is available for this event during normal packet pick up hours.
5:00 PM – 7:00 PM
@ Off N Running
3731 Lawndale Dr
Greensboro, NC 27455
7:00 AM – 8:30 AM
@ Carolina Marina
548 Shelton Road
Stokesdale, NC 27357
NOTE: Photo ID is required for packet pick-up. Everyone must pick up their own race packet.
USA Triathlon requires that all USAT annual members must show their USAT membership card at packet pick-up.
Any USAT annual member who does not present his/her valid membership card at packet pick-up, will be required to pay the USAT one-day fee of $12.
- 7:00 AM – Transition Area Open
- 7:00 AM – Race day registration opens
- 8:30 AM – Race day registration closes
- 9:00 AM – Race Start
- 12:00 PM – Projected awards ceremony (will be adjusted based on last finisher’s time)
A participant orientation meeting will be held at 6:00 PM on Friday, September 9 at Off N Running.
Timing and Results Information
This event will be timed using the Mylaps timing system. A timing chip will be provided for you the morning of the event. You will need to show your run number to the volunteers at the Timing Chip Pick Up tent. They will hand you a disposable strap to use to fasten the chip to your ankle. We will have velcro straps available for $5 if you would rather purchase one of those (the disposable straps come with the chip). Volunteers will collect the timing chip from you at the end of the finish line chute. Relay teams will receive a velcro strap with their chip, as the chip is what is passed from member to member. The strap and chip will be collected at the finish line.
Five splits will be provided: Swim, T1 (transition from the end of the swim to the start of the bike), Bike, T2 (transition from the end of the bike to the start of the run), and Run.
For on site results, we have a large, flat screen TV scrolling the results. Results on the screen update about every minute so athletes are able to see their times pretty quickly after crossing the finish line.
On each run number, there will be a QR code which will provide your finish times for you upon scanning. To use this feature, be sure you have a QR Code Scanner app on your phone (these apps are free). This is a really nice way to get your times without looking over anyone’s shoulder.
We also provide live results and real time alerts (text, email, Facebook, Twitter). Live results means that the results will be streaming onto our website so people who are either not at the event or are spectating can access results as they happen. The live results feed has a leader board feature as well as a searchable feature if you are looking for times for a specific athlete. You can also check age group and category placings on the live results feed. The real time alerts allow for athletes, friends, family to sign up for alerts. You can choose the medium (text, email, Facebook, Twitter) with which you want to receive the alerts, and when the athlete you are tracking crosses the finish line or various split points, you will receive an immediate notification. This is a fun feature for both spectators and athletes. It allows spectators to track the athlete’s progress and it’s a great way for an athlete to immediately get their results.
The link to these pages will be available race week.
Full official results are posted on our 2015 Results Calendar within 1-2 hours of the last finisher crossing the line.
Top 3 in each of the following categories:
- Top 3 M/F Open (Elite)
- Top 3 M/F Masters Open (Elite 40+)
- Top 3 M/F Collegiate
- Top 3 Age Groups (M/F):15 & Under, 16-19,20-24,25-29,30-34,35-39,40-44,45-49,50-54,55-59,60-64,65-69, 70-74,75-79,80-84, 85+
- Top 3 Clydesdales (Men 39 and Under, 220+ lbs)
- Top 3 Master Clydesdales(Men 40+ and 220lbs+)
- Top 3 Athenas (Women 165lbs+)
- Top 3 Assisted Athletes (M/F)
- Top 3 Novice (M/F)
- Top 3 Master Novice (Beginners 40+) (M/F)
- Top 3 Relay Teams (Male, Female, Mixed)
- Open – Category for Elite participants. These are typically the fastest people in the race and they compete on an Elite/Professional level.
- Masters Open – Same as above, but these Elite participants are 40 and over.
- Age Group – Participants competing in their age group.
- Collegiate – Participants who are members of a collegiate tri team.
- Clydesdale – Category for male participants who are over 220 lbs.
- Master Clydesdale – Category for male participants who are over 220 lbs. and are 40 or over.
- Athena – Category for women over 165 lbs.
- Novice – Category for beginner participants. Participants competing as a Novice have usually done less than 3 events.
- Master Novice – Same as Novice but these participants are beginners who are 40 or over.
- Mixed Relay – Mix of male and female team members.
- Male Relay – All male team members
- Female Relay – All female team members
- Assisted Athlete (AA) – Person without the ability to propel themselves thru the race course.
- Below is a brief description of each race category:
NOTE: You may fit into one or more of the above categories, so whichever category you choose to compete in is completely your choice. Choose the category that you feel you would have the most fun competing in.
- Relays can be 2-person (one person does 2 legs, and one person does 1 leg) or 3-person teams (each person does 1 leg of the event).
- EACH Relay member MUST pick up his/her own packet.
- EACH Member MUST have their photo ID and USAT card (if applicable) to pick up their packet.
- If a member is a minor (17 or under), then a parent/guardian must show an ID to get their packet.
- If a member turns 18 by the end of 2014 they are considered an Adult per USAT, thus they must pick up their own packet.
- If you need to replace a relay member you can e-mail us using the Contact Us button with the changes.
- If it is the week of the event and you need to make a change to a relay member then you can make this change at packet pick up.
- At packet pick up you will be given a sheet of paper that explains how the relays will work (chip hand off, tagging spot, etc.).
- If you are an individual that wishes to switch to a relay team, then you can e-mail us, using the Contact Us button, the following information: Team Name, Team Member Names, Team Member Shirt sizes. You will need to pay the difference to convert to a relay, which you can pay at packet pick up (cash or check only). If it is the week of the event, then you can make these changes at packet pick up.
Swim Time Information
- Swim Times: All participants must submit a 100 yard swim time for seeding purposes. Being a open water swim with a staggered start, participants are seeded from fastest to slowest. It is in your best interest to submit an accurate 100 yard “pace” time for your swim. In other words, don’t submit your fastest 100 yard swim time, submit a 100 yard time that represents what you’ll do on race day over the event distance. By seeding yourself properly, you’ll end up swimming near people who swim the same pace as you. This will reduce the number of people who you will need to pass or the number of people who will be passing you. If you need to change your swim time, simply send an e-mail to Benji at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Seeding Order: All participants will be sorted by the submitted 100-yard swim time. Any athlete who registers at packet pick-up will be seeded AFTER the last pre-registered athlete begins. We will give a 4-5 minute break between the last pre-registered athlete and the first on-site registered athlete. Given this swim is in open water, participants who register on site will begin in order of sign up.
- Changing Swim Times: Athletes can request a change in swim time up until Friday, September 2, 2016. After that, no changes will be made. To make a change, email Benji at email@example.com
Quality Inn and Suites Airpark East
7067 Albert Pick Rd
Greensboro, NC 27409
Tricycle Studios are the Official Photographers of this event. They will be positioned around the course and will capture images on each leg of the event. Participants will receive an e-mail with a link to their photos within a few days of the event finishing. Questions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
USAT Rules and Information
ALL USAT members must show proof of a current membership at packet pick up. If you have recently renewed a membership, then you MUST print out a temporary card or receipt of payment (that shows length of the membership period) to show at packet pick up. We will not take your word for it that your membership is current; you must SHOW us. Failure to do so will result in having to pay the one-day fee of $12.
You can go to the USAT WEBSITE where you can renew your membership or print out a temporary card. You can also renew your membership at packet pick up if that’s easier for you.
If I entered my USAT information when I registered, then why do I need to show my card at packet pick up? USAT rules state that all USAT members must show a valid membership card at packet pick up and failure to do so will result in having to pay the 1-day fee. Our events are sanction by USAT, therefore, we must follow these rules. Our website is not connected to USAT’s website, so the information that you enter when you register could be incorrect. We must physically document the current expiration date of your membership when you pick up your packet as this is the only way we can confirm 100% that your membership is in fact current.
USAT’s “Age Up” Policy:
An athlete’s age for any USAT sanctioned race will be his/her age as of Dec. 31, 2016 . The age he/she is on 12/31 will determine his/her racing age group. If an athlete is due to “age-up” into the next group, it will happen at the beginning of the year, not after the athlete’s birthday. This action aligns regular U.S. age group racing with the method used by USA Triathlon for its National Rankings Program and its new Grand Prix Series.
Example: John Smith is 39 and will turn 40 on November 20, 2016.
John will be considered 40 for all 2016 races – and will race in the 40-44 age group at all 2016 races.
Sally Jones is 29 and will turn 30 on July 3, 2016.
Sally will be considered 30 for all 2016 races – and will race in the 30-34 age group at all 2016 races.
Policies and Refunds
REFUND POLICY: 50% of your entry fee will be refunded until August 25, 2016. No refunds will be issued for any reason after August 25, 2016. Entries CANNOT be transferred or deferred to another person, event, or year. NO EXCEPTIONS will be made to this policy. By registering for this event you agree to this refund policy. To request a refund, you must complete the refund request form below.
Refund Request Form
WEATHER POLICY: In the event of inclement the following procedures will be followed:
The event will be postponed until 9:45AM in hopes the inclement weather will pass.
If inclement weather does not pass by 9:45AM , the event will be changed to a duathlon format.
Every effort will be made to have this event on time on this date. Should this event be cancelled due to an Act of God or other circumstance beyond the race directors control there will be no refunds, credits, or transfers.
NO EXCEPTIONS will be made to this policy. By registering for this event you agree to this weather policy.